Statewide Paint Recycling Program Launches in CT
The CT DEEP together with Paintcare has instituted a Paint Stewardship program in Connecticut. Now latex paints (interior or exterior), deck stains, and other water-based paints can be recycled instead of discarded in the trash. For drop site locations and more information, please visit PaintCare.
Architectural paints ("Program Products") are defined as interior and exterior architectural coatings sold in containers of 5 gallons or less. However, they do not include aerosol products (spray cans), industrial maintenance (IM), original equipment manufacturer (OEM), or specialty coatings.
Program Products (Acceptable)
- Deck coatings, floor paints (including elastomeric)
- Field and lawn paints
- Interior and exterior architectural paints: latex, acrylic, water-based, alkyd, oil-based, enamel (including textured coatings)
- Metal coatings, rust preventatives
- Primers, sealers, undercoaters
- Shellacs, lacquers, varnishes, urethanes (single component)
- Waterproofing concrete/masonry/wood sealers and repellents (not tar or bitumen-based)
Non-Program Products (Not Acceptable)
- Aerosol paints (spray cans)
- Auto and marine paints
- Art and craft paints
- Caulking compounds, epoxies, glues, adhesives
- Deck cleaners
- Industrial Maintenance (IM) coatings
- Original Equipment Manufacturer (OEM) (shop application) paints and finishes
- Paint additives, colorants, tints, resins
- Paint thinners, mineral spirits, solvents
- Roof patch and repair
- Tar and bitumen-based products
- Traffic and road marking paints
- Two-component coatings
- Wood preservatives (containing pesticides)
Note: Leaking, unlabeled and empty containers are not accepted at drop-off sites.
Call Before Drop Off
Please call drop-off sites before you bring your paint to check the hours of operation and how much paint they can accept.