- About the Library
- Board of Trustees
- Legacy Society
- Ways to Give to the Library
- 2023 Newington Library 5K Challenge Road Race
Newington Library 5K Challenge Road Race
About the race:
The Newington 5K Challenge Road Race is an annual fundraiser that is presented by the Library Board of Trustees. This is the 26th year of the race with all proceeds of the race benefiting the library and its future growth. The race is a popular community wide event that offers a fun filled morning of exercise, competition to spend with friends and family. Walkers are welcome! Strollers are allowed on the course.
Male- 2019 Matthew Walker: 15:24
Female - 2002 Heather Gardiner: 18:25
Advanced registration by May 19:
$25 per person or $10 children (12 and under)
$10 Little Readers Sprint or Fee is waived if parent/escort is registered for the race.
Online registration closes at 5:00 p.m. on Friday, May 19.
Registration is open online, Entry forms can be picked up at the library or downloaded from the this site. You can mail or drop off the form to the Lucy Robbins Welles Library, 100 Garfield Street, Newington, CT 06111.
Registration at Packet Pick-Up & Race Day
$30 per person
$10 children (12 and under)
2-Day Packet Pickup
Race packets can be picked up on May 20 from 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. in the library parking lot and on race day May 21 from 7:30 - 8:45 a.m. near the registration table.
Virtual Participation: $25 per person
Can't make the race but want to support the library, register as a virtual runner/walker during the registration process. Event t-shirt will be available for you to pick up at the Library during the 2 weeks after the race.
Refer a Friend:
Run for free? Find out about our referral program incentives after you click the REGISTER button.
Divisions & Awards:
This race is timed by Platt Systems and uses the B-Tag timing system (timing chip is attached to the back of the bib). Please wear the race bib on the front of the shirt.
Male & Female - 10 & under, 11 - 14, 15 - 19, 20 - 29, 30 - 39, 40 -49, 50 - 59, 60 - 69, 70 & up.
- First 250 registrants receive a race performance t-shirt.
- Top overall male & female runners receive trophy & recognition.
- 1st & 2nd division winners, male & female receive medal & recognition.
- All who run/walk are eligible to win race prizes drawings. Must tear off bib # and be present to win.
- Newington Cross Country Boosters Incentive Awards - Trophies to the 1st male & 1st female finishers among students grades 5 - 8 and grades 9 - 11, attending Newington schools.
- Pre-race and Post-race stretching
with a professional fitness trainer.
- As a thank you to runners and walkers for supporting the library by entering this race, all race participants are entered in the post-race raffle but you must be present to win a raffle prize donated by local businesses.
- All participants will receive a 2023 Dining Partner Ticket valid at participating local restaurants. Pick up your dining ticket at Packet Pickup on Saturday or post-race on Sunday at the Food Tent. Click here for more details.
- Free admission on race day to the Newington Kiwanis Big K Flea Market (located at MARKET Square and only 1/2 mile from the library)- show your bib number!
New in 2023-
Little Reader's Sprint
For kids between the ages of 2 and 5 (must be accompanied by an adult).
- The entry fee is $10.
- Fee is WAIVED for any child whose parent/escort is registered for the race.
- Parents/escorts who are accompanying the child may also run for free.
-All children must have a waiver signed by parent/guardian to participate.
- Waivers are signed during registration process.
- Register online, at the library or on race day.
- All Little Readers will receive a finisher's medal and fun swag.
Sponsorship & Donation Opportunities:
Businesses, individuals and organizations can support the race through race sponsorship or raffle prize donations.
Sponsorship Levels opportunities for 2023
Race prize donation opportunities for 2023
Race Day Morning Schedule of Events:
7:30 - 8:45 Pre-registration check in & same day registration.
8:45 Pre-race warm-up.
9:00 Race begins.
9:45 a.m. Little Readers Sprint
10:00 Race ends.
9:30 -10:30 Refreshments
10:30 Awards & prize drawings
A fast and flat certified 5K course that runs through a quiet residential neighborhood and finishes at Mill Pond Park.
- White signs with arrows and markings on road indicate direction of course.
- All mile points are marked with mile signs at each mile.
- Race volunteers along course to indicate direction and crossing of intersections.
- Electronic timing
- Water tables located at pre/post race and mile 1.5.
- Bathroom facilities in library
- Medical personnel.
- Parking available at the Library, Mill Pond and the Town Hall.
Costco Wholesale- New Britain
Dunkin Donut - Newington
Need to verify your registration or print your confirmation again?
Click here to verify or reprint your race entry