Thank you for visiting the Town Planner's webpage. This department provides a variety of services that may impact your home or business, neighborhood, and the Newington community at-large. We welcome your questions and ideas for maintaining and enhancing the quality of living and working in Newington.
The mission of the Town Planner's office is to assist the Town Plan and Zoning Commission in reviewing development projects that enhance the quality of living and working in Newington, promote economic growth and the conservation of the communities natural resources.
The Town Planner Department provides professional planning and administrative services including but not limited to the following:
• Assisting the Town Plan and Zoning (TPZ) Commission with administrative duties and advisor for development projects
• Assisting the Zoning Board of Appeals (ZBA) with administrative duties and advisor for variance appeals
• Assisting the Town Council and the Town Manager by meeting with developers and providing a long-range perspective on development opportunities
• Serving as staff for the Affordable Housing Monitoring Agency, Open Space Grant Program, Affordable Age-Restricted Housing Study Committee, Commercial Façade Easement Rehabilitation Loan Program Committee and carrying out special projects as assigned by the Town Manager and Town Council
• Providing responsibility for the management of the Small Cities Grant, STEAP Town Center Improvement Grant, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) Brownfield Assessment Grant, DEP Open Space Acquisition Grant programs, and the Commercial Façade Easement Rehabilitation Loan program
• Serving on the CRCOG Housing Committee, and the New Britain-Hartford Busway Municipal Advisory Committee
• Providing oversight of the Engineering Department
• Serving as the Town’s Development Director and staff for the Economic Development Commission (EDC)