The Staff of the Building Department is here to serve you. We have many years of experience in all construction matters. Please feel free to contact us for all your project needs and questions.
To provide outstanding service to both the residents of Newington and the contractors who work in town by ensuring code compliance in all construction to protect the health, safety and welfare of the people who live in and use the buildings within the town.
The Building Department, responsible for reviewing plans, specifications and inspections of all building construction in Town, is staffed by professionals licensed by the Department of Public Safety. Three administrative members of the staff are licensed Building Officials and are qualified to review and inspect concrete work, steel construction, plumbing, heating, electrical, HVAC systems, sprinkler systems and the work of all other related trades. The Department is also responsible for the following:
- Enforcement Officers for the Newington Housing Code, Administrative Officers for Building Code Board of Appeals, and Vehicle Appeals Board
- Interacting with the Director of Planning and Development, Town Engineer, Fire Marshal and Health District from the plan review stage through construction inspections and the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy
- Interacting with Human Services, Town Assessor, Tax Collector, Police and Fire Department for assistance
The Building Department provides services including, but not limited to the following:
- Acts as Zoning Enforcement Officer when needed (under the direction of the Director of Planning and Development
- Enforcement Officers for the Newington Housing Code
- Administrative Officers for the Fair Rent Commission, Building Code Board of Appeals, and Vehicle Appeals Board
- Interact with the Director of Planning and Development, Town Engineer, Fire Marshal and Health District from the plan review stage through construction and the issuance of Certificates of Occupancy
- Render assistance to Human Services, Town Assessor, Tax Collector, Police and Fire Department as needed