About the Enoch Kelsey House
The Enoch Kelsey House at 1702 Main Street in Newington is an example of the home of a prosperous Connecticut farmer and tinsmith in the late 18th century. It was built by Enoch Kelsey and his son David in 1799 on Kelsey Street opposite Christian Lane in the southwestern section of town. It was moved to its present location by the Newington Historical Society and Trust in 1979. Of common design, the home features rare, freehand painted wall decorations, basement to attic paneling, a beehive oven and fireplaces. Enoch Kelsey’s grandfather, John, was a weaver and one of the features of the restored home is a working 18th century loom which is used by historical society members to produce woven goods.