- Human Services
- Financial Assistance
- Parks & Rec Programs
Parks & Rec Subsidy
How do I know if my family is eligible?
Eligibility is determined by Newington’s Department of Human Services. Your household income and size are two of the factors used to determine eligibility. Financial assistance is available for Newington residents only.
How is eligibility determined?
You must make an appointment with the Department of Human Services. At your appointment, you will complete an Application for Financial Assistance OR bring with you a completed Application for Financial Assistance. You must bring all required documentation (see ‘How to Apply’ for a list of required documentation).
HOW TO APPLY
- Call the Department of Human Services (860-665-8590) to schedule an appointment.
- Complete the application and bring with you to your appointment OR the application can be completed with Human Services staff at your appointment.
Bring the following items to your appointment:
- Photo ID
- Four (4) most recent weeks of pay stubs for all income earners in the household
- If self-employed, please provide verification of income
- Child support
- Social Security Income / Social Security Disability
- Proof of Supplemental Income from State to include rent assistance (rental agreement), food (SNAP) subsidies, unemployment and workers’ compensation, veterans’ benefits, cash assistance, etc.
- Any other outside source of income
Please allow at least two weeks for processing after your appointment with Human Services.
When should I apply?
Applications for Financial Assistance are accepted year round but must be submitted at least two weeks prior to the start of the first program for which assistance is sought. We recommend applying as soon as possible as some programs have a limited amount of spaces available and we are not able to accept any registration after that capacity is reached. Before you can attend or reserve a space in any program or class, you must have a completed and approved application on file; we cannot ‘hold’ space in a program. It may take up to two weeks for review and processing after your appointment with Human Services. Once your application is reviewed and your eligibility level is determined, you would be able to register for any eligible and available programs.
How long is my eligibility valid?
Your eligibility, once determined, is valid for 6 months or until there is any change in your financial situation. If your financial situation changes during your eligibility period, you must schedule an appointment with Human Services for review.
Which Parks and Recreation programs are included?
You may be eligible for a free or reduced pool pass, payment plan and up to 15% off fees for select programs. Each family member is eligible for financial assistance for one program and pool pass per season.
Pool Passes: Each eligible family may qualify for financial assistance for one individual or household pool pass.
Programs: Each eligible family member may qualify for up to 15% off one of the following programs per season:
- Summer Sunshine: children ages 3 & 4
- Playground Pals: children completing Kindergarten in June 2017 or entering Kindergarten in September 2017
- Camp RECreate: children completing grades 1 through 7 in June 2017
- Leader-In-Training: students completing grades 8 or 9 in June 2017 (5-week program)
- Group Swim Lessons: Youth and Adult
- Special Needs Swim Lessons
Each eligible family may request a payment plan for any available Parks and Recreation program. Payment plans are arranged through the Parks and Recreation Department after a family’s eligibility has been determined by the Department of Human Services. If a family has been approved for a payment plan, it is the family’s responsibility to ensure that all payments are made according to the schedule determined by the Parks and Recreation Department. If a family fails to make payments in a timely fashion, future financial assistance eligibility for Parks and Recreation programs will be jeopardized.
- Sibling Discount: A sibling discount will be offered for Playground Pals and/or Camp RECreate. If a family has two or more children registering for either of those programs, the second, third, fourth, etc. child will receive a $20 discount per week. For example, if four children in a family sign up for all 7 weeks of Playgrounds Pals and/or Camp RECreate, the first child will pay full price. The second, third and fourth child would each receive a $140 discount ($20 per week per child x 7 weeks), for a total family discount of $420. Please note that registrations must be completed/received at the same time for all children.
Programs eligible for financial assistance, as well as the discount amounts, are subject to change at any time. Newington Parks and Recreation Department has the ability to modify the list of applicable programs at any time and is responsible for the final approval of programs eligible for financial assistance.