Alphabetical List of Library Databases
- Academic Search Premier: This scholarly collection provides journal coverage for most academic areas of study, including biological sciences, economics, communications, computer sciences, engineering, language and linguistics, arts and literature, medical sciences and women’s studies. Full text for more than 4,700 titles.
- Ancestry.Com: In library use only. Census records, passenger lists, military records.
*Due to the current situation with COVID-19, access to this resource has been temporarily expanded to library cardholders working remotely, courtesy of ProQuest and its partner Ancestry.*
Please use this link to access ancestry.com from home with your Newington Library Card.
- Auto Repair Source: Auto service and repair information from the experts at Motor. Step-by-step repair information, diagrams, maintenance schedules, parts and labor estimates, service bulletins, recalls and more.
- Biography Reference Bank: Offers in-depth, original profiles of Current Biography and World Authors series, the thorough periodical coverage of Biography Index, and the specialist biographical content of Junior Authors and Illustrators. This database contains biographical full-text articles, page images and abstracts from today’s leading magazines and journals.
- Biography Reference Center: Contains many of the top-ranked biographical reference collections and magazines. This database offers a comprehensive collection of full-text biographies, as well as thousands of unique narrative biographies.
- Connecticut Digital Collections: Search the Digital Collections of: Connecticut History Online, Connecticut State Library’s Collection, Newspapers of Connecticut and Treasures of Connecticut Libraries.
- Creativebug: As a Newington Public Library patron, you have free, unlimited access to more than 1,000 arts and crafts video classes on creativebug.com. Visit creativebug.com from our home page. Enter your valid Lucy Robbins Welles Library card number. You will be prompted to create an account. Enter your first and last name, your email and a password.
- Ebsco Explora for Middle Schools: Searches: Biography Reference Bank, Biography Reference Center, History Resource Center, MAS Ultra, MasterFile, Middle Search Plus, Book Collection, Science Reference Center and Topic Search.
- Ebsco Explora for Public Libraries: Searches: Academic Search Premier, Biography Reference Center, Book Collection, ERIC, History Reference Center, Legal Information Center, Literary Reference Center, MasterFile, Middle Search Plus, Science Reference Center and Topic Overviews.
- GreenFILE: This resource focuses on the relationship between human beings and the environment, with articles and information on topics ranging from global warming to recycling to alternate fuel sources and beyond. GreenFILE serves as a resource for anyone concerned about the issues facing our planet. The database provides indexing and abstracts for approximately 295,000 records, and full text for more than 4,600 records.
- Hartford Courant Historical (1764 to 1995): Connecticut news and a wide variety of world, national, state, and local news. Includes full-page coverage of the Hartford Courant and its predecessors from the first issue of the Connecticut Courant in 1764.
- History Reference Center: Designed for secondary schools, public libraries, junior/community colleges and undergraduate research, this database features full text for more than 1,990 reference books, encyclopedias and non-fiction books from leading history publishers.
- Job and Career Accelerator from Learning Express : Get detailed information on more than 1,100 occupations. Find careers that match your skills and interests. Access millions of current job and internship postings. Create professional resumes and cover letters, master interviewing and networking techniques, and more. Job & Career Accelerator is your guide to getting hired. This service is provided by the CT State Library. You will need to create a free account to access this resource.
- Learning Express Library: Provides interactive online practice tests and tutorial courses for academic and licensing tests. Tests include Advanced Placement, Basic Skills Success(grammar, math, comprehension), Business Writing, Civil Service (including Postal Workers), College Preparation (including SAT), Cosmetology, EMS, ESL (Spanish), Firefighter, GED, Job and Career, Military, Nurse Aide, Skills Improvement, Technical and Career College, and US Citizenship and more.
Note: Users must sign in with user name and password. If you will also be using this database from home, please use your Newington library barcode number (no spaces, no letters) as your user name.
- Legal Information Reference Center: Providing exclusive online full text for many of the top consumer legal reference books, this database contains hundreds of full-text publications and thousands of legal forms, with more content being added on a regular basis.
- MainFILE: This multi-disciplinary database provides coverage of all aspects of academic study and general interest subject areas. It provides coverage for more than 4,300 full-text magazines and journals and nearly 250 full-text newspapers and newswires. This database also includes over 2,900 full-text reference books and encyclopedias.
- MasterFILE Premier: Designed specifically for public libraries, this database provides full text for magazines, reference books, and primary source documents covering a wide-range of subjects. It also has an Image Collection containing photos, maps and flags.
- MAS Ultra - School Edition: Designed specifically for high school libraries, this database contains full text for hundreds of popular high school magazines covering a wide-range of subject areas including history, science, careers and much more. All full-text articles are assigned a reading level indicator.
- Middle Search Plus: Contains full text for a variety of popular middle school magazines. All full-text articles are assigned a reading level indicator. Full text is also available for thousands of biographies and historical essays.
- NewsBank: A news resource that provides archives of local and national newspapers in the US. Includes access to the Herald of New Britain, Bristol Press, Journal Inquirer, New Haven Register and West Hartford News, plus many more. A valid Newington Library card is required to access this database from home.
- Newspaper Source Plus: Contains full text for a variety of popular middle school magazines. All full-text articles are assigned a reading level indicator. Full text is also available for thousands of biographies and historical essays.
- Nonfiction Book Collection - Elementary Schools: Contains informative abstracts and searchable full text for more than 1,300 popular nonfiction books. The database includes high interest titles on animals, weather, holidays, adventure, sports, and more.
- Nonfiction Book Collection - High Schools: Contains informative abstracts and searchable full text for more than 2,700 popular nonfiction books. The database includes high interest titles on careers, health, disabilities, adventure, sports, technology, biographies, music, science, history, and more.
- Nonfiction Book Collection - Middle Schools: Contains informative abstracts and searchable full text for more than 3,200 popular nonfiction books. The database includes high interest titles on careers, health, life skills, ethnicity, disabilities, adventure, sports, technology and much more.
- Primary Search: Contains full-text for more than 80 of the most popular elementary school magazines. It features Funk and Wagnalls New World Encyclopedia, which provides students with easy-to-read entries written specifically for kids. This database provides thousands of relevant photos, maps and flags to aid kids in learning.
- Professional Development Collection: Includes full text for more than 500 high-quality education journals.
- Pronunciator: A fun way to learn any of the 80 languages with courses for all ages and levels. You can work through an entire course or pick out specific topics. Complete activities and quizzes, schedule a live conversation with a fluent speaker, or listen to music and movies in another language.
- ProQuest U.S. Major Dailies: Search the following newspapers at once: Chicago Tribune, Christian Science Monitor, LA Times, New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Washington Post.
- Reference Solutions: Database of U.S. businesses; also includes an international business database, a residential white pages database, new movers database (residential) and new businesses database, as well as employment and internship listings. (Note: If you get a blank screen while accessing Data Axle, try refreshing your screen.) (Previously known as ReferenceUSA.) *
- Referencia Latina: This comprehensive Spanish-language database offers content from a variety of sources including thousands of encyclopedia entries, an inclusive collection of images, an atlas, health reports, a Spanish-English dictionary and full text for reference books and general interest magazines in a broad array of subject areas.
- researchIT CT: Access to full-text popular and scientific articles, newspapers, business information, health information, Connecticut library catalogs and much more. A service of the Connecticut State Library in partnership with the Department of Higher Education. Authorized and funded by the Connecticut State Legislature.
- researchIT CT One Search: Search all articles, newspapers, audio books and digital collections in iCONN. A service of the Connecticut State Library in partnership with the Department of Higher Education. Authorized and funded by the Connecticut State Legislature.
For patrons who do not have a Newington Library card please use the following links by category to access these researchIT One Search databases:
- Science Reference Center: A comprehensive research database that provides access to full-text, science-oriented content. Contains full text for hundreds of science encyclopedias, reference books, periodicals and other sources. Topics include biology, chemistry, earth and space science, environmental science, health and medicine, history of science, life science, physics, scientists, technology and wildlife.
- TOPICSearch: Teachers, librarians and student researchers can explore current events, social, political and economic issues, scientific discoveries and other popular topics frequently discussed in the classroom. It contains full text for tens of thousands of articles from diverse sources, including international newspapers.
- Universal Class: Get a username and password for Universal Class. Access Universal Class with your username and password. Take online courses from home. Select from over 540 online courses, earn continuing education units, and communicate with your teacher and fellow students, all online! Users must have a valid Newington Library card to access.