Rubbish Barrel & Collection
The Town of Newington employs an automated rubbish collection program, the most convenient form of refuse collection available.
As part of the automated service, each resident will be provided with an easy to maneuver barrel. The rubbish barrel provided is a high quality container with enough capacity to handle rubbish normally generated by an average family on a weekly basis. The standard container is the 95 gallon size.
A second 95 gallon container may be leased for a non-prorated fee of $95 per fiscal year (July 1st - June 30th). To lease a second container please call the Town’s contractor Trash-Away at 860-229-1164
Using the Container
Please remember to put all trash in your automated refuse barrel. Only trash that is in your automated barrel will be accepted and emptied. To help reduce litter, all trash should be placed in tied bags before putting it in your barrel.
Thank you for your cooperation. If you have any questions please do not hesitate to call the Sanitation Division 860-667-5874.
Things to Remember
- Routes Start Early - Please have your barrel at the curb no later than 6 a.m. Pickup times will vary due to the weather or other circumstances.
- Barrel Placement - Place your barrel within 2 feet of the curb and at least 3 feet away from all obstacles, including your recycling bin, mailbox or vehicles.
- Avoid Spills and Wind Blown Litter - Place all of your trash, especially light weight items Styrofoam pellets, sawdust, ashes (COLD) or loose tissues, in a sealed bag inside your container to prevent littering of your neighborhood.
- Do not place grass, leaves, recyclables or covered electronic devices in your container as it will not be emptied. These items must be recycled per state law.
- Covered electronic devises include televisions, computers, monitors and printers, these items may be disposed of at the Town landfill free of charge.