The mission of the Newington Volunteer Fire Department Cadet Division is to educate the youth of the Town of Newington about all aspects of the fire service. This is accomplished through classroom training and hands-on experience, as well as supporting and observing firefighters at emergency incidents. Upon completion of the program, cadets will have learned valuable life skills such as leadership, trust, goal setting, teamwork, responsibility, communication, respect and honesty, which will bring them one step closer to becoming a productive, contributing member of their community.
If you are interested in learning more, please call 860-667-5905 and leave a message. Your call will be returned within a couple of days.
If you are interested in joining, please download our Application Packet (PDF).
The application process is as follows:
- Review the Cadet Rules and Regulations (PDF)
- Complete the Application Packet (PDF). Make sure that you and your parent/guardian has signed in all of the requested places.
- Complete the Membership Update Form (page 5 of the application packet (PDF)). This form is necessary to issue you your department ID card and enter you into our computerized fire report writing system.
- Detach the last page of the application (waiver form), complete it and have it notarized. This can be done at the Newington Town Clerk’s office at Town Hall, or using any Notary Public of your choice. You may turn in this form with your application if it is completed. If not, you may bring it with you on the night that you are sworn in.
- Call 860-667-5905 to make arrangements to drop off the application packet. Once the completed application packet has been received, your application will be processed, references will be called and you will be sent to Hartford Medical Group for a physical at our expense.
- Once your references have been checked, application processed and you have been cleared by Hartford Medical Group, we will contact you and let you know when you will be sworn in.
High School Credit
Did you know that participating in the cadet program can allow you to earn high school credit? It can! See the Newington High School Partnership Program Cadet Program Credit Application (PDF) for more information.