Town Home
131 Cedar Street - Newington, CT 06111-2644 - Phone: (860) 665-8545
Veteran's Tax Exemption

Any person who claims an exemption from the local property tax by reason of military service must give notice to the Town Clerk. The notice may be an honorable discharge, a certified copy of an honorable discharge, or a statement sent annually to the Town Clerk by the commanding officer indicating that the person is still serving in the military and is unable to appear in person to file the discharge by reason of such service.


An original or certified copy of a DD 214 form must be filed by October 1st to entitle the veteran to an exemption on taxes due the following July.  Please check the List of War Time Service Dates to determine eligible dates of military service for property tax exemptions.


Pursuant to § 1-219 of the Connecticut General Statutes, legislation passed in 2002 states that military discharges are not available for public inspection. Military records are confidential for 75 years.


Records are available to: the veteran or his conservator; any public entity needing to establish eligibility for veteran benefits; any person needing information to provide a benefit; any person who acquires a benefit on behalf of the veteran’s estate, the state librarian; funeral directors acting on behalf of the state; and authorized genealogists.

Duplicate copies of a DD 214 form can be obtained by completing the Standard Form 180 (SF 180), Request Pertaining to Military Records and then forwarding it to the National Personnel Records Center, Military Personnel Records, 9700 Page Boulevard, St. Louis, MO 63132-5100. This form may be obtained by calling (800) 827-1000 or by visiting the website for the National Personnel Records Center.