The Newington assessors office prides itself as an outreach
administrative office for not only the taxpayers of Newington but also
for area real estate professionals, agents and appraisers in need of
updating values, attorneys and accountants working on estates or
property transfers, concerns from insurance agents gaining property
information and also for regional economic development purposes for
speculative buyers or sellers of residential and commercial properties.
The integrity of all property characteristics for public scrutiny is
second to searching calls and over the counter needs in an efficient,
professional manner. All are welcome to call or email the assessors
office 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. We will always attempt to respond
to your requests within a 24 hour timeline or before the end of the
The Assessor's primary duty is to determine the value of all
taxable and tax exempt Real and Personal Property for the purpose of
equitable tax distribution throughout the Town of Newington. Real
Property is assessed at 70% of a base year of value established on the
October 1, 2015 revaluation. Commercial Personal Property and Motor
Vehicles are also assessed at 70% annually. The Grand List consists of
over 12,100 real estate parcels, 1,400 commercial personal property
accounts and 30,000 taxable motor vehicles. The office is also
responsible for assisting special service programs by annually updating
over 550 elderly, 50 blind, 6,100 special assessment adjustments for
veterans, and 250 disabled exemptions for Newington taxpayers.
- Completed ten court appeals due to the revaluation of real estate parcels on the October 1, 2015 Grand Lists.
- New Computer Assisted Mass Appraisal software developed by eQuality Valuation Services was installed in the Assessor’s office.
- Continued to maintain and administer the computer interface with
the Geographic Information System (GIS) to include all property data.
- Inspected and valued numerous new condominium units at Harvest Court
& Newington Ridge Preserve.
- Provide taxpayers with courteous and responsive service.
- Respond to questions about the appeal process available to property owners.
- Maintain an equalized tax base according to State Statutes and professional standards.
- Communicate the results of the revaluation program throughout the year to Town administration and residents.